6 May 2017

Fashion Revolution | #Haulternative | How To Create A Slow Fashion Capsule Wardrobe

The idea of a capsule wardrobe always scared me a bit, I thought choosing to have less would somehow be constricting, but it turns out it's exactly the opposite. 

In my teens and early 20s, I happily hoarded closets full of clothes, always felt I had nothing to wear, and every weekend I'd boogie out to the mall to buy more. When I moved to London I was forced to cut down as I was limited to 2 bags on the flight over, and there just wasn't space in my tiny rented bedroom. It wasn't until my late 20s that I did my first conscious slim down, just before I moved to Paris to live with my husfriend (in a classically tiny Parisian apartment), then another when we hopped the pond for a stint in America. But it wasn't until this last year that I began to realise that I could live with even less, and I started to weed out bits of my belongings and focus on curating my tri-seasonal capsule wardrobe.  


Financially, mentally, ecologically, ethically and time management wise, it makes all the difference. I no longer feel like I have 'nothing to wear' and waste mere minutes of my life contemplating outfits. I no longer shop emotionally, nor out of insecurity or boredom, and when I do shop, I do so consciously, making sure I love and need what I'm hunting for, that it is well made and sustainable. Packing is a breeze and I finally feel confident in everything I own. And while it takes some practice to get the hang of it, overall it makes me feel more relaxed, as I give zero f*:)ks about 'trends' and decide for myself what's 'in style'.


HERE'S HOW I DONE DID IT

1) Empty your closet. From my experience, the best way to do it is to try on every damn thing and figure out if it can make multiple outfits, even better if those items can also transcend each or at least two seasons. Ideally, you want all your tops to go with all your bottoms and items you can dress up or down. 

2) Sort your clothing into yes, no, maybe so piles. There are a few items I have which just hold sentimental value, or I can only wear it in summer, or it doesn't go with anything else but I just love it. Decide for yourself what your 'rules' will be. For me, it has to look good, make me feel good and be diverse. With excuses for vintage finds and sentimentality. 

3) Donate, sell, or swap whatever hits the no pile. The 'maybes' I put in a bag in the closet to see if I'll wear them - if a few months roll on and I don't, I find them new homes.

4) Stop spontaneously shopping. If shopping for you is an emotional reaction or form of entertainment (like it was/is for me) just stop it. There are so many other things to fill our time with which don't involve causing harm to people or the planet, sounds harsh and dramatic, but to sum it up, that's what we're doing each time we hit the mall or high street. If you feel the need to shop, go peruse the second-hand stores, swaps, rental sites, upcycled piecesslow fashion brands and vintage shops, that way you're not adding to the problem, you're reducing it.

5) Plan. The idea is to buy less from this point on and only taking in items which will add options to what you have and make you feel like a bad ass as well. If you feel something is missing in your wardrobe have a proper look around for what you want, and once you find it, save for it. Ideally, you want to be buying slow fashion, so items which are made with the planet and her inhabitants in mind, and made to last, or items which are second-hand, swapped or vintage. If you're not sure which brands are good/bad, follow the bloggers of Ethical Writers Coalition and Ethical Influencer Network, or read about the brand you're looking at with this awesome helpful and unbiased app called Good On You.

6) The magic number. is up to each individual. I aim to have no more than 30 items each season, that number can waver to plus or minus 10 pieces, shoes and accessories included, but with a flexible goal of 30, you won't be far off from where you should be. This means a total of around 120 items everything included. Most of that, like jeans, runners, workout gear, t-shirts, onesies and layers will be repeated throughout the seasons which leaves me some wiggle room for the odd jumpsuit which live solely in the summer season, or bad ass unique vintage pieces that are neither diverse nor tri-seasonal.  

For spring, as the weather shifts between 0° C and 20° C where I dwell, my capsule consists of the following base items, with a few layer options. I have a few more vintage shirts I swing into the mix but this is generally what I travel with or wear on a daily basis. You'll see a lot of these items repeated from my '11 items, 2 Seasons, 21 Days Of Travel' capsule post a few months back and I've added the Vlog version in below with a further explanation and a few outfits we didn't shoot bringing the options from 11 up to 18 (not counting layer options).
CLOTHING
SHOES

JACKET
LAYERS / WORKOUT GEAR
OUTFIT 1
THOUGHT CLOTHING Tencel Trousers [#1]
SECOND-HAND Claw Necklace [#16]
A.BCH Black Tee [#6]
OFKT Mule [#9]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
OUTFIT 2
THOUGHT CLOTHING Tencel Trousers [#1]
SECOND-HAND Claw Necklace [#16]
JYOTI Cream Tarun Top [#4]
OFKT Mule [#9]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
OUTFIT 3
THOUGHT CLOTHING Coat [#12]
SECOND-HAND Jeans [#2]
VINTAGE SECOND-HAND Grey Turtleneck [#8]
OFKT Mule [#9]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
SONYA KASHMIRI Alicia Bag [#13]
OUTFIT 4
THOUGHT CLOTHING Tencel Trousers [#1]
VINTAGE SECOND-HAND Grey Turtleneck [#8]
OFKT Mule [#9]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
SONYA KASHMIRI Alicia Bag [#13]
OUTFIT 5
THOUGHT CLOTHING Coat [#12]
THOUGHT CLOTHING Tencel Trousers [#1]
JUNGMAVEN Hemp Yarn Dyed Tee  [#5]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
SONYA KASHMIRI Alicia Bag [#13]
OFKT Mule [#9] 
OUTFIT 6
THOUGHT CLOTHING Cape [#3]
THOUGHT CLOTHING Tencel Trousers [#1]
JYOTI Cream Tarun Top [#4]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
SONYA KASHMIRI Alicia Bag [#13]
OFKT Mule [#19]
OUTFIT 7
THOUGHT CLOTHING Cape [#3]
SECOND-HAND Jeans [#2]
VINTAGE Onesie [#7]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
SONYA KASHMIRI Alicia Bag [#13]
DHARMA WOODS Mala Necklace [#17]
OFKT Mule [#9]
OUTFIT 8
SECOND-HAND Jeans [#2]
SONYA KASHMIRI Alicia Bag [#13]
JUNGMAVEN Hemp Yarn Dyed Tee  [#5]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
OFKT Mule [#9]
OUTFIT 9
THOUGHT CLOTHING Cape [#3]
SECOND-HAND Jeans [#2]
SONYA KASHMIRI Alicia Bag [#13]
SECOND-HAND Claw Necklace [#16]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
JYOTI Cream Tarun Top [#4]
OFKT Mule [#9]
OUTFIT 10
SECOND-HAND Jeans [#2]
TRUNK COLLECTIVE Boho Hindi Tote [#14]
SECOND-HAND Claw Necklace [#16]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
A.BCH Black Tee [#6]
OFKT Mule [#9]
OUTFIT 11
SECOND-HAND Jeans [#2]
JYOTI Cream Tarun Top [#4]
SECOND-HAND Toms Sunglasses [#19]
- OLLI FLIP FLOPS (story coming soon)
Here are some more Fashion Revolution / Slow Fashion stories to inspire you:
Terumah - Love Story 
The Peahen — I’m Starting a Revolution
EcoCult — 14 Sustainable and Ethical Fashion Myths that Need to Die
Konscious Whispers — Fash Rev 2017: Where Do I Begin?
Walking with Cake — Fash Week 2017: A Love Story
These Native Goods — Local Movement
Style Wise - Fashion Revolution

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Post about your laundry routine with a capsule duirng traveling!

Holly Rose said...

Good idea! To be honest I handwash everything with dr. Bronner's in the shower if I get fit gross but I'll do a little story next time we are on the move for sure!